Harvest time. Will a glass of red wine protect us from aging?
It contains resveratrol, a well-known natural antioxidant, a polyphenol. In addition to grapes (peel) and wine it is found in different foods: peanuts, pistachios, blueberries, cocoa. 72 species altogether. It is plants’ response to environmental stress or fungal attacks.
Does it protect man too? It has been praised as an anti-aging molecule, to prevent:
In reality we are not so sure. The problems are different:
- first of all, the concentration. Approximately 300 mg/L is needed to achieve positive effects. The red wine contains only 7 mg/L.
- And then the studies, conducted on animals so far ( for example rats) and in vitro at high doses. Are those results valid for humans? It’s early to say.
- Finally, the poor bioavailability: it is absorbed little and quickly metabolized.
If we can not take effective doses of resveratrol with food, can we do it with supplements? The unknown factors are not lacking. For example, It must be verified:
- the safe and effective dose for humans
- long-term effects: for better or for worse.
And the raw material?
Main source of raw material for the supplement industry is mainly China. It extracts resveratrol in particular from the roots of Polygonum cuspidatum or Japanese knobby herb , unknown to many. What’s the problem?
- contaminants, such as heavy metals from the soil, and any pesticide residues in the roots of the knotweed.
- the presence of emodin, suspected of causing gastrointestinal disorders as well as difficult to remove from the organism.
That’s why the industry is now working on extraction techniques to ensure higher quality trans-resveratrol: contaminant-free and high-purity. Bet on:
- chemical synthesis
- extraction by fermentation.
The objective is to provide consumers with the utmost security thanks to “natural” raw materials and a traceable and reliable supply chain.
Has the new era of resveratrol begun yet?
Renolab is a specialist in developing methods for the analysis of the active ingredients in food supplements also. Contact us for information or to request a quote.